Thrifty Thursday Has Sold Out!
Creative Grids rulers feature fine black & white markings, 1″ grid markings, non-slip embedded gripper, turn-a-round feature, centering lines, 30°, 45°, 60° angles.
So if you are just starting out or or looking to add one or more to your collection these first five are excellent choices.
First up of the ‘basics’ and ‘must haves’ is the 6-1/2″ square ruler. Great for small blocks and mini quilts and is availble HERE>
2) The 12-1/2″ Square is excellent for cutting larger pieces or squaring the most common larger block sizes. Order the 12-1/2″ square HERE>
3) Perfect for cutting strips is the 6-1/2 inch x 24 1/2 inch ruler available HERE>
4) Ideal for cutting half square triangles and charm squares is the 4-1/2 inch x 8-1/2 inch ruler HERE>
5) The 6-1/2 inch by 12-1/2 inch ruler is convenient for portability to classes and retreats. Order the 6-1/2 inch by 12-1/2 inch ruler HERE>
The next four on the list are specialty rulers and tools. We’ve included videos so you can see how they work.
6) 60 Degree Diamond Ruler – Increase your diamond design possibilities with the 60 degree Diamond Ruler. Cut 60 degree diamonds up to 8 1/2 inches; hexies up to 8-1/2 inches; and 60 degree triangles up to 8-1/2 inches. Maximize the design potential by cutting them from strip sets. There are even markings included to cut 120 degree side setting triangles. Find it HERE>
7) Pineapple Trim Tool for 6″, 8″ or 10″ blocks. Create perfect 6; 8; or 10 inch finished Pineapple blocks by squaring up each round of strips as they are sewn. Since each round of strips is squared up before the next set is added, the blocks are perfectly square. The cutting requirements for the center square and the strips are printed right on the ruler. Find it HERE>
8) Slim Machine Quilting Tool. Want to master machine quilting with rulers but not sure where to start? It’s time for you to meet Slim, your new home machine quilting best friend. Angela Walters, machine quilting author and teacher, designed slim with you in mind! This versatile ruler is the perfect way to finally get comfortable using rulers while machine quilting. Find it HERE>
9) Squiggy Machine Quilting Tool. Squiggy may look different that your normal machine quilting ruler, but trust us, it’s your go-to ruler for machine quilting serpentine lines and wavy designs. The serpentine line is a curvy design that’s perfect for quilt borders and sashings. It adds beautiful texture and depth to your quilts, but can be difficult to free-motion quilt.
Find it HERE>
Hopefully this list helps 🙂
One of our most favourite rulers here at Hamel’s is Quilt in a Day’s Triangle Square Up Ruler. When students take our Beginner Sampler class, this ruler is required. Think about all the quilt blocks out there that require half square triangles!
The 6 1/2 Triangle Square Up Ruler makes perfect half triangle squares and quarter triangle squares in sizes up to 6 1/2″. Fully illustrated and detailed instructions are included when you purchase this ruler. The ruler is marked in two colors for easy reading. Convenient 1/8″, 1/4″, 1/2″ and 1″ lines for precise measuring. The ruler is made of heavy gauge acrylic and is laser precise.
Want even a bigger ruler? Well, you can also special order the 9 1/2” version of this ruler.
Here’s a video demonstration with Eleanor Burns of “Quilt in a Day” using this ruler to create perfect half square triangles. Even tho this video is a “few years old”, the technique still works today and we recommend it.
This Sunday is Mother’s Day so we are wishing a very Happy Mother’s Day in advance to all you Mother, Mother figures and those that play a Motherly role.
If you are not familiar with a Sew Steady table here is some information from Sew Steady…
When it comes to sewing, and particularly quilting, an expanded work area is a big help, if not downright essential. And that makes a Sew Steady® sewing table, cabinet inset or cabinet insert essential. Sew Steady® sewing machine extension tables make the perfect companion to virtually any sewing machine, and our insets and inserts are carefully designed to fit your specific make and model of both sewing machine and cabinet*. Each portable sewing table is custom designed and built for your specific sewing machine. Crafted from high quality, long-lasting acrylic, to exacting standards, all Sew Steady® tables feature a rounded edge, a permanent ruler, and many other standout features.
One of our bestsellers is The WISH table
Wish Table is made with high-quality acrylic as are all our Sew Steady Tables and Inserts. The Wish Table includes several features as requested by quilters and sewers alike:
- 3 beveled edges
- 9″ x 14″ blue compartmentalized notions tray,
- Holes in the table for circle sewing and Circle Sewing Tool
- Universal Table Grid and Table Lock
Note: This grid is intended for use on free arm machines. It is not intended for flatbed machines such as Featherweights.
For an instructional video on the circle sewing tool, click here.
For more information on installing the legs onto a Table, watch the instructional video on YouTube.
For instructional video on how to use the Centering Ruler, click here.
Find the Promo HERE or by clicking on the promo posters below. Sale ends Sunday, May 12, 2019
You’ve probably seen or heard about wool pressing mats but don’t know much about them. Well they are a dream to use and come in 6 sizes from a four inch square for mini projects, mid size which are quite portable making them a great choice for retreats and classes, and a new size large enough to cover your ironing board surface.
Below is some information on the wonderful wool pressing mats by The Gypsy Quilter.
If you haven’t tried these yet, here are the details and why you should:
Press any pieced or embroidered block with ease. The density of this high-quality 100% felted wool mat absorbs seams and stitches, effectively pressing both sides at once. Block knitted projects as well by pinning them directly to the mat. An added bonus? The texture of the wool stops fabrics from shifting so there is no distortion when pressing.
Tips and Tricks
The pressing mat can be used with a dry iron on any surface. If using steam, place the mat on a protected surface since moisture does go through the mat and can harm the surface below.
Never place the mat on a rotary cutting mat when pressing. The heat could warp the cutting mat.
If mat feels damp after use, hang to air-dry before storing. Wash the mat occasionally by rinsing it in cold water and hanging the mat until dry – especially if using spray starch.
Safe surfaces include Formica, Corian, stone, and metal (an ironing board). Wood and painted surfaces should be avoided.
A wool mat is a handy tool for quick pressing when kept next to your sewing machine.
Please remember: These pressing mats can be used with a dry iron on any surface. If using steam, place the mat on a protected surface since moisture does go through the mat and can harm the surface below.
Perfect for that quilter on the go! But what about when you are in your sewing room? We have the answer for that as well! There is now one big enough to fit your Sullivan Big Board Ironing Board – a whopping 22 x 59 inches! This 3/8″ wool mat is the perfect choice for pressing entire quilt tops.
For the dream pressing table set up combine the large 22″ x 59″ mat with a Sullivans Better Board at a reduced price when purchased as a combo set.
Watch the video below to see more about The Gypsy Quilter Wool Pressing Mats.
We currently have some special pricing in effect until May 8th so stop by the shop or find them online HERE to place your order today.