Moda Candy or Mini Charms is one of our favourite precut formats both here in our store and via our website. These delightful packets of fabric are not only cute, but can be sewn into all kinds of projects.
So what exactly is Moda Candy? What in the world do quilters do with all those little squares? Well, we get asked this every day at the store (it seems like). First and foremost, we receive all of the Moda precuts that are created and Moda makes a lot of them! They are constantly developing collections of fabrics to inspire us as we plan our sewing projects.
Moda Candy (referred to as MC in this post) are the smallest of the Moda precuts which include fat quarter bundles, jelly rolls, layer cakes and charm packs to name a few. Each packet of MC is comprised of 42 squares of fabric that are 2.5″ each. These squares measure 2.5″ across from one outer pinked edge to the other. Moda cuts them with a pinked edge to help prevent fraying. Each packet contains all the pieces in a collection; you get some lights, some darks and some medium coloured fabrics. Each of the 42 pieces in a packet of candy is meant to be sewn together with the other pieces in the collection and the designer has coordinated the fabrics for us. No stress of choosing the fabrics or having to cut them into small 2.5″ pieces!
So what can you do with these sweet little bits of fabric all packed in a collection? Well, the possibilities are endless! Here’s our 10 list for Moda Candy:
1. Take and arrange two packets of MC (84 squares in total) by setting them into five rows of 16 squares. This makes a super fast table runner that you can not only sew together in an evening, but the runner can be quilted and bound very easily in an afternoon or a bit of time on the weekend!
2. Sew pieces from one packet of MC by setting them 6 rows of 7 squares and you have a placemat for your table. Voila!
3. How about English paper piecing? These little 2.5″ squares are the perfect size for 1″ hexagon papers. You can hand stitch these togetherwhen you need a fun project to work at whilst away for the weekend, at a ballgame with the kids or whenever you are away from your sewing machine.
4. Purchase MC as a quick gift to delight your sewing buddies. What a neat way to appreciate a friend and what quilter wouldn’t welcome a little packet of delightful fabric.
5. Sew ingredients from two MC packets (84 squares) into four patch units and add a bit of background fabric and you have a table topper for the centre of your table.
6. With about three packets, you can create the outside of a Mondo bag.
7. Check out the book Pin Pals. Full of pincushions projects and available via our website. Carrie Nelson features a delightful array of pincushions you can make beginning with MC pieces.
8. Sew three little squares from your MC packet together in a strip and and other strip of three squares; fuse them together and you have created a little bookmark for yourself or to give as a gift.
9. Check out ModaBakeShop.com for even more ideas. Moda is continually adding project ideas and posting them to their website. Also if you “like” Moda fabrics on Facebook, they post new ideas as they come available, so you are always up to date for new ideas for MC.
10. One packet makes another table topper quilt design as demonstrated in this video. Laura is so good at showing you! Check out this video below:
We hope that you will check out MC packets the next time you visit our store or investigate all the various MC displayed on our website. It would be great if you send us a picture of your project(s) created with MC. Browse our selection of Mini Charms in the shop or online here.