Creative quilters are finding many uses for inexpensive pool noodles available at your local Dollar Store or outlet centre. They come in your choice of many fun colours and aren’t just for kids! Pool noodles can be used to baste, store, ship quilts and more!
Here’s some of our favourite quilty uses:
- Basting Quilts – Three pool noodles make basting a quilt a breeze. Roll the backing, batting and top around pool noodles and unroll them as you go. Watch this short video that demonstrates how to base a quilt using three noodles.
2. Wrinkle-free Storage – When quilts are not in use try wrapping them around a pool noodles. This is a great way to prevent creases in the quilts.
3. Packing for Quilt Shows – Rolled quilts are also perfect for transporting to shows. A dowel can be inserted in the center of the noodles for large, heavy quilts to keep the pool noodles from bowing. Secure the quilts by tying them with a ribbon or strip of fabric.
4. Binding Organization – A short length of pool noodle works nicely for keeping a prepared binding neat and ready to use. Plus, it’s lightweight and travels easily to class or a retreat. Simply pin both ends of the binding into the pool noodle to secure it.
When you’re ready to sew the binding onto the quilt, the pool noodle will sit nicely in your lap as the binding reels off.
5. Pincushion – Pool noodles also work for pin cushions. They are especially helpful for storing open basting pins. Use a knife to cut the length you want, then cut it in half down the center.
Or, slice pool noodles across the diameter for lightweight pin cushions.
6. Crease Free Hanging Storage – Cut a pool noodle lengthwise to slide over a hanger, so that your quilt, quilt top, pieces and strips are ready to come back to without creases.
We hope you can have fun putting a pool noodle to use in your sewing studio this spring!