Recently, Moda Fabrics has been releasing their new collections not only in fat quarter bundles, layer cakes and charm squares, but also in a Honey Bun format. These 1.5″ strips are a jelly roll’s slimmer brother.
In a Honey Bun precut, Moda gives you 40 strips that are cut as wide as 1.5″ each. Strips are cut from selvedge to selvedge measuring 45″. Although narrower than a jelly roll strip that’s 2.5″, the Honey Bun precut is not to be overlooked or seen as less than desirable; not at all. A Honey Bun equates to approximately 1.5 metres of fabric.
IMPORTANT NOTE – please DON’T “prewash” these strips or any other Moda precut. You will destroy your strip and have a big disaster if you insist on washing the strips before sewing them into your project! There is no need to prewash, just open the roll and start your project.
What can you create with a Honey Bun after you get this little roll home?
Here’s our Top Ten ideas for a Honey Bun:
- Make a log cabin quilt that you have always dreamed about and yet were not excited about finding and cutting lots of little strips.
2. Mini nine patch blocks are great from Honey Bun strips. They measure 3″ when you’ve finished sewing them into your project. Very darling!
3. Rail fence – this pattern is a timeless classic and looks great modern or traditional!
4. String quilts – open up a Honey Bun (or two) and voila, you have all the strips you need to start making string blocks. Very stress releasing!
5. – Converting any project requirement for a 2.5″ strip into using a 1.5″ Honey Bun strip. This will hardly take any time really to convert. You will end up with a smaller block and/or a overall smaller project but that’s ok. Think about how much quicker it is to finish a smaller project and even do the quilting yourself!
6. Narrow sashing – Honey Bun strips are precisely 1.5″ and can frame your blocks nicely!
7. Take a strip or two from a Honey Bun and use them to add as trim on a pillow or pillowcase.
8. Small projects – Try using a Honey Bun to make a book cover, a small bag, or even a pillow cover.
9. Rectangles – cut strips into rectangles or bricks for a sophisticated one patch look!
10. Get creative and design your own quilt project using the strips. They all coordinate together and will look great no matter how you combine the strips together!
Browse our selection of honey buns HERE and let us see what your next project using this precut!